About Me

My photo
crazy Fishkeeper,Fancy guppy breeder, amateur marine fishkeeper

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DEMONSORI ??

Demonsori.. the online nick/ user ID I use for almost all of my online registration and emails.

(internet adopted pic)

It's a funny thing how I got stuck with this "NICK". It all started with a little blue/black striped cichlid I bought at a Serangoon North aquarium. It was a very new species then and I couldn't help but but one at $28. With a cichlid aquarium already running in my room, there was no way i was gonna allow myself to pass on it. The one and only concern was its size : a 1-incher to live in a 2ft tank with its inhabitants all above 2 inches. DEMONSORI was what the shop had MIS-labelled it as... should've been (Pseudotropheus) Demasoni-- and it was 2 years later after I used Demonsori as an ID that i found out ! Having been stuck with using it for various user IDs and registration, was glad that it ended up as a unique mistake !

2 years passed with it growing only to less than 2 inches,living well with the others all over 3 inches. It was fast swimming enough to evade nibbles by other territorial tankmates yet confident enough to do some damage on their fins instead! The increasing number of guppies I bred led to it being put into my electric catfish tank, after which I blamed myself when it was gulped down in the middle of one fine night; despite being fast enough to evade the predatory/ electricity-producing fish for months. Given a chance to own more tanks in future, I will definitely set up a big enough tank with a group of demasonis dominating the whole tank !


(in the community tank with bigger fishes)
(striking colouration in contrast to orange tilapia)

More info on this very interesting cichlid below :
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_demasoni.php

No comments: